Title & Registration
Welcome to the Sevier County Clerk’s Motor Vehicle page. Due to the overwhelming information regarding motor vehicle registration and related topics, we have provided numerous topics and links in order to help you navigate to your area of interest. We hope you find our webpage useful and easy to navigate. Please feel free to contact us if you need more information.
Phone: (865) 453-5502 option 1
Fax: (865) 774-3954
Mail: Sevier County Government
County Clerk Office
125 Court Ave, Suite 202E
Sevierville, TN 37862
Who is eligible to register/title motor vehicles in Sevier County?
What is required to be titled and registered in the State of Tennessee?
What do you need to bring to register/title motor vehicles?
Frequently Used Forms
Hours of Operation & Locations
Purchased Vehicles (New/Used)
Private motor vehicle purchase
Dealership purchase (new/used)
SEVIER COUNTY RESIDENTS:
You must reside in Sevier County to register or title a motor vehicle. You will need to present your valid photo state or federal issued ID reflecting your current Sevier County address. If your ID does not reflect your current Sevier County address you will need to present (2) TWO current and valid proofs of Sevier County residency. The State of Tennessee allows a 30 day grace period to get your ID updated to your new address and to register your vehicle/s.
Acceptable Proofs of Residency
- Photo ID must be valid: State issued driver license, state issued handgun carry permit, Military ID (active or retired), Department of Veterans Affairs ID, Passport Book or Passport Card
- NO expired ID’s will be accepted
- ID must contain your current Sevier County address
- If ID does not have your current Sevier County address you must present (2) TWO CURRENT and valid documents with your Sevier County address (bring original or print out documents before your arrive):
- We cannot accept two bills from same organization
- All proofs must be original documents. No statements on phones will be accepted
- All proofs of residency must be current within 6 – 8 weeks
- Current Utility Bill: phone, electric, water, gas, cable, internet, etc.
- Bank Statement
- Paycheck stub (accepted if name and address is on the stub)
- Tennessee Voter Registration Card
- Tax Documents (ITIN, W-2, 1099 or other federal tax form within the last 12 months)
- Sevier County Property Tax Receipt (within the last 12 months)
- Car Insurance Declaration Page (small card not accepted)
- Rental or lease agreement NOT accepted
If you are a Sevier County resident the State of Tennessee requires the following to be registered and/or titled with the Sevier County Clerk’s Office:
- Motorhome (drivable)
- Travel Trailer (camper)
- Commercial Vehicles
- Government Vehicles
- Mobile homes
- Boat (registration only, the State of Tennessee does not title boats)
- All-terrain vehicle (ATV), Utility-terrain vehicle (UTV), side by side (TDR sticker for off road use only. Must be plated if used on county or state roads if vehicle meets requirements)
- Golf Carts (off road use optional title & registration. Must meet requirements for road use to register and plate)
- Scooter/Moped (above 50cc state requires to be titled. under 50cc is optional)
- Utility Trailer (or enclosed trailer) / title & registration optional
- Farm Trailer (animal, livestock or agricultural purposes) / title & registration optional
- Homemade trailers / optional
If the State of Tennessee does NOT require the above vehicles to be registered and or titled please be aware you do not have proof of ownership and therefore cannot sell the vehicle. For additional information please visit the State of Tennessee’s website https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and-registration.html
If you are a Sevier County resident and need to register or title a vehicle (or something that requires to be titled in the State) you will need to bring ALL of the following:
- Tennessee Driver’s License with current Sevier County address OR a valid state or federal issued photo ID plus (2) two proofs of Sevier County residency
- TITLE: If vehicle is paid in full you will need to bring the TITLE in
- CURRENT REGISTRATION : If you are making payments, you need your CURRENT REGISTRATION and your lienholder name and mailing address (if you are moving here from a State that is considered a Title Holding State, you are required to bring the TITLE in).
- ALL PERSON(s) on title or registration must be present: If more than 1 person is listed on the title all parties must be present to register. You may use (power of attorney) form https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1311401Fill-in.pdf if all parties cannot be present
- Bill of Sale (if purchased from a dealership)
- Current vehicle registration (if transferring a license plate from a previous vehicle) Please note: license plate must be in date (cannot be expired) and must be in the name of the buyer)
- The Make, Model and VIN Number of any vehicle traded in for the newly purchased vehicle
- LEASED VEHICLE (moving from out of state to Sevier County): Current registration, name and address of lease company, POA from lease company and lien holder name and address if applicable.
- Gift Affidavit (gifting a vehicle) https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1301201Fill-in.pdf
- Power of Attorney https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1311401Fill-in.pdf
- Duplicate Title https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1315201Fill-in.pdf
- Blank Affidavit https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1311001Fill-in.pdf
- Odometer Reading https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1317001Fill-in.pdf
- VIN Verification
- Disabled Person Form: license plate, placard or decal (to be completed by your doctor, you must sign)https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1310301Fill-in.pdf
Customers can register or title vehicles at two of the Sevier County Clerk locations:
Sevier County Courthouse:
125 Court Ave, Suite 202E Monday thru Friday
Sevierville, TN 37862 8am – arrive by 4pm
(865) 453-5502, option 1
Gatlinburg/Sevier County Clerk Office:
405 Reagan Drive 8am – arrive by 3:45pm
Gatlinburg, TN 37738 Open Mon, Wed & Fri
(865) 430-3404 (Gatlinburg Closed Tues & Thurs)
The Gatlinburg office at 405 Reagan Drive is closed until September 25th for renovations.
- Sellers are required to sign and print their name under the ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE BY REGISTERED OWNER section
- Sellers are required to sign and print their name exactly as it appears on the front of the title
- If there are two individuals listed on the front of the title with the conjunction “and”, both sellers are required to sign
- If there are two individuals listed on the front of the title with the conjunction “or”, only one seller is required to sign
- Tennessee titles are not required to be notarized, but some out of state titles do require the seller’s signature to be notarized.
- If there is a place on the title for notary, you will need to have that signature notarized before bringing the title to our office to register.
- Buyer/s are required to register a vehicle within the county they currently reside.
- Buyer/s are required to sign and print under the ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE BY REGISTERED OWNER section
- If more than one buyer has signed and the conjunction “or” has been used, only one of the buyers is required to be present to register the vehicle
- If more than one buyer has signed and the conjunction “and” has been used, both buyers are required to be present to register the vehicle
- If the buyer is not able to appear in person, a power of attorney form https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/forms/titlereg/f1311401Fill-in.pdf must be filled out properly authorizing someone else to register or title vehicle on their behalf. (The seller and buyer cannot appoint the same POA to complete their transactions)
- Sales tax and registration fees will be collected when vehicle is registered
- Current vehicle registration if transferring a license plate (license plate must be valid (cannot be expired) and must be in the name of the buyer/s)
- Must have the Make, Model and VIN Number of any vehicle traded in for newly purchased vehicle
- Noting of lien at the time of transfer, an additional $11.00 will be applied
- If you purchase a new or used vehicle from a dealership that is located in Tennessee ask your sales representative at the dealership if they will be registering your vehicle. If they are not registering the vehicle for you will need to bring ALL of the following information in to one of office locations:
- Properly reassigned title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MSO).
- Itemized bill of sale (must include purchase price, trade in, and any applicable sales tax that has been collected).
- The odometer disclosure statement if applicable.
- Previous vehicle registration if customer is transferring a license plate from another vehicle. (Registration must be in date, NOT expired and the plate registration must match name as the new vehicle).
- Photocopy of Valid State or Federal ID
- 2 proofs of residency if customer is residing in Sevier County but ID doesn’t match
- Multi-Purpose Application
- Power of Attorney
- Lienholder name and address if applicable
- If you have purchased a vehicle outside the State of Tennessee
Talk to your dealership representative to find out how your newly purchased vehicle will be registered. If the dealership needs to contact our office for questions please have them call (865) 453-5502 option 2 or email email@example.com